Friday, October 14, 2011

Finding four...

She says...

Hummm looking back at my review of Les Trois Garcons I feel I might have been a little unfair. Two weeks later I now know that I was just at the start of a long horrible cold, which could have dulled my taste buds, and obviously it was only a 'special' tasting menu we enjoyed, so the a la carte could still be incredible.


I remember thinking it was all very yummy last time I went, although the memory of the food on that visit is over-shadowed by the fact I spent most of the meal debating with my fellow diner whether we had the balls to complain about the wine, which tasted rank. Turns out it WAS corked, or in some way wrong. The waiter was horrified how much we'd drunk of it, whisked it away and gave a us a whole replacement bottle. However, I immediately thought I had stomach ache from the odd chemicals I imagined swimming around my glass of wine. Moi et Les Trois Gracons, then... a difficult relationship it has to be said.


Anyway, onwards and upwards. How far? Well, how about this little place? It definitely fulfills my desire to venture further afield, being just off the M40 near Oxford. It was opened in 1984 and, according to the website - 'a year later it was awarded two Michelin stars, which it has now held for a remarkable 28 years'.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to afford the six course tasting menu at Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir Aux Quat'Saisons.





Back to reality and this Chinese could be a good option. A nice change from fancy French food anyway. I think one of my previous bosses might have raved about this place as both of them lived in the Bayswater/Queensway area of London. It was also suggested more recently by one of our co-diners at Les Trois Garcons, whose impeccable taste I'd always follow if having a gastronomic dilemma. Looks a little shabby though to be honest, Clara.



More suggestions please!

1 comment:

  1. Four Seasons is a seriously good Chinese. My dad raves about the duck there (I can't personally comment on that, but erm, their tofu and black bean sauce is tasty too!)

    ReplyDelete