Wednesday, May 02, 2012

10 Cases... Blacks... Bukowski

He says...
Rather by chance I ended up going to 10 Cases for a workie lunch today, the restaurant in Covent Garden of which I posted a photo just a few days ago - I had a rather lovely oxtail and foie gras terrine and a slightly boring black seabream.

But most notable was the fact that they only have four main courses to choose from, and the menu is on a chalk board on the wall. The combination of these two factors caused much neck-craning amid concerns that we were missing something on another wall just around the corner.

But more excitingly, this evening I went for a dinner at Blacks, the rather sexy underground members club on Dean Street where I got talking to someone who I think must be owner Giuseppe Mascoli. He told me about his new venture, the Bukowski Grill, which is situated in a shipping container in Shoreditch and named after the great great 'low life laureate' Charles Bukowski... (Another literary bar in the mold of The Hunter S, which opened recently and apparently doesn't quite live up to its name...)

And if that's not cool enough, he's launched it with Robin Freeman who is the head chef at Blacks and a one-time touring chef for Iggy Pop and PJ Harvey among others.

The rabbit and mashed potato at Blacks was bloody superb too - as a nearby couple said to us, the best thing they'd eaten all year. Enjoyed over a good glass of red and a tale from my host about sharing a drink with Francis Bacon at the legendary members club The Colony Room back in the 80s...

It's days like this that remind me how truly great London is...

No comments:

Post a Comment