Friday, May 04, 2012

May Bank Holiday

she says...

Oh excuse me whilst I break my back picking up the names...

I, meanwhile, have been involved in somewhat more worthy pursuits, volunteering to be Front Of House Manager for a production of The Vagina Monologues at the very cool, and chilly, Bussey Building, a converted warehouse in Peckham. A 4 night run of Eve Enslar's infamous play and sister production A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant & A Prayer, in aid of a couple of women's charities. The cast was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, although the food choices in Peckham leave a lot to be desired.


Apart from the Bussey Building itself, which has a quirky bar/cafe on the first floor serving a great selection of teas, beers, wines and homemade style cakes and nibbles, there is nothing at all inspiring to eat round there. I wanted something hot one afternoon and was advised that Burger King was definitely the best option within walking distance. There are an encouraging array of independent butchers and green grocers along Rye Lane, but nowhere doing interesting takeaway or cafe style food. If anyone is thinking of opening something along these lines do it here! In the end it was a toss up between Subway and an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet takeaway and I shouldn't have gone for the Chinese. The beef stir fry dish only had lumps of bones left in it, or maybe had only ever had them in in the first place. Ah well, at least it was warm on a cold, rainy day.
A bit of a contrast to how the other half has lived this week!

So I'm looking forward to splashing out a bit on #7. We're thinking a long boozy lunch as it's a Bank Holiday - somewhere we won't be rushed, that has an interesting menu and wine list worth spending time exploring.

However it's definitely not gong to be the posh place Matt mentioned as it's closed on Mondays. Typical.

I quite fancy this place called 'Seven' on the Isle Of Wight. I like the fact it got it's name from being seven miles from 3 of the nearest towns and it's on the #7 bus route. It's also a B&B so we could go Sunday and stay over. Except it's full.



Then I found this small chain Seven Fish. There's one in Ringway, on the edge of the New Forest near where I lived for a few years as a child, and one in West Sussex. Neither place is near a train station though and I don't want to drink and drive. And I have to drink, of course.



I'm off to Brighton next week for a conference and, if only we hadn't invented this new date rule, eating here could have matched up nicely. I didn't know there was also a Seven Dials in Brighton, but this place looks modern, smart yet affordable. I'll bear it in mind whilst I'm there anyway.
And, yet more! there's a Number Seven Wine Bar And Restaurant in Cheltenham. This blog is at least doing wonders for my geography as, until now, I'd no idea Cheltenham was nearly in Wales. I'd always thought of it as just outside London. Well, if you're being a proper London snob, most of the country is, to one degree or other I guess. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment